Difference between Memory Cache and Packet Cacke

Difference between Memory Cache and Packet Cacke

Federico87
Hi All,

I'm trying to do some tuning on pdns-recursor. The question is quite easy: what is the difference between packet cache and memory cache
I'm talking about

max-cache-ttl        maximum number of seconds to keep a cached entry in memory

and

packetcache-ttl       maximum number of seconds to keep a cached entry in packetcache

Thank You

Federico

Re: Difference between Memory Cache and Packet Cacke

Peter van Dijk
Hello Federico,

On 10 Jun 2015, at 13:11, Federico87 wrote:

> I'm trying to do some tuning on pdns-recursor. The question is quite easy:
> what is the difference between packet cache and memory cache
> I'm talking about
>
> max-cache-ttl        maximum number of seconds to keep a cached entry in
> memory

This cache holds data gathered from authoritative servers out on the Internet.

> packetcache-ttl       maximum number of seconds to keep a cached entry in
> packetcache

This cache holds ready-to-use reply packets to send to your clients.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk

Re: Difference between Memory Cache and Packet Cacke

Federico87
Hi,

Thank you very much for your replay. It is clear to me now.

It should mean that all "memory" configuration are related to the data gathered from authoritative servers and the packetcache are related to reply packets to send to your clients.

Is it correct?

Thanks