Fw: Recursor backend.. THE FIX :)

A/S ScanNet - Dan Faerch
Hi all...

Ealier this week i wrote about my PDNS recursor mysteriously chrashing..

I made a debug-trace for Bert, who wrote me back within 10 minnutes with a
bugfix.. Now THATS impressive :).
My recursor has been running without any probs at all since yesterday..

So: If anyone has the same problem as me, simple copy the attached
syncres.cc over the old syncres.cc and recompile the lot...

If it does solve your problem, then remember to write "Thank you Bert" ;)..

Note.. This is for ver. 2.9.6.. Dont know if its save to use with any other
version..

- Dan Faerch
A/S ScanNet

syncres.cc (16K) Download Attachment

Re: Fw: Recursor backend.. THE FIX :)

bert hubert
On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:13:24AM +0100, A/S ScanNet - Dan Faerch wrote:

> I made a debug-trace for Bert, who wrote me back within 10 minnutes with a
> bugfix.. Now THATS impressive :).

Hey, I made the bug in the first place!

> My recursor has been running without any probs at all since yesterday..

Good to hear.

> Note.. This is for ver. 2.9.6.. Dont know if its save to use with any other
> version..

It will probably work on 2.9.5 as well.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://lartc.org           Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO
http://netherlabs.nl                         Consulting

syslog level

Willem de Groot

Hi,

Probably the following messages should be logged to daemon.notice:

Mar  6 11:14:35 goldstrike pdns[8516]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] 1 slave
domain needs checking
Mar  6 11:15:35 goldstrike pdns[8516]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] All slave
domains are fresh

(At our setup, all *.errors are spammed to all root tty's :>)

What does the 'logfile=' config directive do?

Willem

Re: syslog level

bert hubert
On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 02:58:17PM +0100, Willem de Groot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Probably the following messages should be logged to daemon.notice:

i lowered these to 'Warning'.

> What does the 'logfile=' config directive do?

It is for windows.

Regards

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://lartc.org           Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO
http://netherlabs.nl                         Consulting

Re: Fw: Recursor backend.. THE FIX :)

Ian R. Justman

A/S ScanNet - Dan Faerch wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> Ealier this week i wrote about my PDNS recursor mysteriously chrashing..
>
> I made a debug-trace for Bert, who wrote me back within 10 minnutes with a
> bugfix.. Now THATS impressive :).
> My recursor has been running without any probs at all since yesterday..

Ya know, that'll likely fix the issues I've been observing (and chances
are, the issues you saw were the same as what I was seeing).

While we are on the subject, two questions:

1.  Are the hints hard-coded into the file?
2.  How easy is it to add other TLD servers should you ever have the
desire to?

Thanks.

--Ian.

P.S. If you head to my home page, http://www.ian-justman.com/, I have a
button I created from the logo on the main page.  Any of you (especially
you, Bert) are welcome to snag a copy.

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:31:26AM -0800, Ian R. Justman wrote:

> 1.  Are the hints hard-coded into the file?

They are. They are updated on launch though. It would be better to read
these from disk but the actual benefit from this is so slight I haven't
bothered to write the code yet. Perhaps somebody else will?

> 2.  How easy is it to add other TLD servers should you ever have the
> desire to?

Hmmmm, that would probably entail being authoritative for their root? In
that case, look at the rest of PowerDNS.

> P.S. If you head to my home page, http://www.ian-justman.com/, I have a
> button I created from the logo on the main page.  Any of you (especially
> you, Bert) are welcome to snag a copy.

Pretty, thanks!

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://lartc.org           Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO
http://netherlabs.nl                         Consulting

pdns startup script? (Was: Re: Fw: Recursor backend.. THE FIX :))

Ian R. Justman

Ian R. Justman wrote:

> A/S ScanNet - Dan Faerch wrote:
>
>> Hi all...
>>
>> Ealier this week i wrote about my PDNS recursor mysteriously chrashing..
>>
>> I made a debug-trace for Bert, who wrote me back within 10 minnutes
>> with a
>> bugfix.. Now THATS impressive :).
>> My recursor has been running without any probs at all since yesterday..
>

> Ya know, that'll likely fix the issues I've been observing (and chances
> are, the issues you saw were the same as what I was seeing).

Thus far, it seems to have done precisely that.

Curious, should I be apeaking to the Debian package maintainer for
PowerDNS for an updated startup script which also fires up
pdns_recursor?  Right now, I'm using a cronned Perl script I wrote to
make sure pdns_recursor was running, then start it if it ended up being
dead.

--Ian.

Re: pdns startup script? (Was: Re: Fw: Recursor backend.. THE FIX :))

A/S ScanNet - Dan Faerch

> > Ya know, that'll likely fix the issues I've been observing (and chances
> > are, the issues you saw were the same as what I was seeing).
>
> Thus far, it seems to have done precisely that.

Mine ran fine too, until yesterday, where it chrashed 5 times within a 8
hours... Ive sendt bert trace of the coredump and he's proberbly doing what
he can to find the bug.. Strangely enough, it hasnt crashed since... So this
bug must be rather rare.. Ill post the fix as soon as i get it and has
confirmed that it does the trick ;)..

> PowerDNS for an updated startup script which also fires up
> pdns_recursor?  Right now, I'm using a cronned Perl script I wrote to
I dont think the recursor comes with the deb package... (I coulndt find it
when i installed the pack)

> make sure pdns_recursor was running, then start it if it ended up being
> dead.
Hehe.. Yeah.. I made something like that.. My own 'guardian' process that
keeps it running if it crashes..

- Dan

A/S ScanNet - Dan Faerch wrote:

>>PowerDNS for an updated startup script which also fires up
>>pdns_recursor?  Right now, I'm using a cronned Perl script I wrote to
>
> I dont think the recursor comes with the deb package... (I coulndt find it
> when i installed the pack)

I have to build it on my system (so I can get it; I have to edit
debian/rules to add the --enable-recursor flag). I had to add an
unofficial PostgreSQL source to get it to build.

>>make sure pdns_recursor was running, then start it if it ended up being
>>dead.
>
> Hehe.. Yeah.. I made something like that.. My own 'guardian' process that
> keeps it running if it crashes..

Ain't Perl and Proc::ProcessTable grand? ;)

--Ian.