LDAP

Remco B. Brink
Hi,

been reading a bit through the archives and documentation, but haven't
been able to find a clear answer yet.

Is it currently possible with the current version of PowerDNS (2.9.6,
since CVS seems to not work at the moment) to use an LDAP backend that
both reads and writes DNS changes to LDAP?

We're currently working on integrating LDAP and DNS, specifically for
dynamic DNS like services. Most of the solutions I've seen so far
(specifically ldapdns and BIND-sdb) seem quite limited in their
possibilities. I've got high hopes for PowerDNS, but would love to get
some more information about the current status its LDAP support.

Comments well appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

regards,
Remco

   Remco B. Brink -- Information Systems Developer, Opera Software ASA
   Personal site at http://rc6.org - PGP key at http://rc6.org/rbb.pgp

Re: LDAP

bert hubert
On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:31:05PM +0100, Remco B. Brink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> been reading a bit through the archives and documentation, but haven't
> been able to find a clear answer yet.
>
> Is it currently possible with the current version of PowerDNS (2.9.6,
> since CVS seems to not work at the moment) to use an LDAP backend that
> both reads and writes DNS changes to LDAP?

Not write. PowerDNS almost never writes to its backend. Can you explain how
CVS is not working? Have you read HACKING?

> We're currently working on integrating LDAP and DNS, specifically for
> dynamic DNS like services. Most of the solutions I've seen so far
> (specifically ldapdns and BIND-sdb) seem quite limited in their
> possibilities. I've got high hopes for PowerDNS, but would love to get
> some more information about the current status its LDAP support.
>
> Comments well appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

What kinds of updates would you want to process, 'dynamic update'?

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://lartc.org           Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO
http://netherlabs.nl                         Consulting

Re: LDAP

Remco B. Brink
<quote who="bert hubert">

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:31:05PM +0100, Remco B. Brink wrote:
> > Is it currently possible with the current version of PowerDNS
> > (2.9.6, since CVS seems to not work at the moment) to use an LDAP
> > backend that both reads and writes DNS changes to LDAP?
>
> Not write. PowerDNS almost never writes to its backend. Can you
> explain how CVS is not working? Have you read HACKING?

Yup :)

It seems the problem resolved itself now. CVS checkout works like a
charm.

> > We're currently working on integrating LDAP and DNS, specifically
> > for dynamic DNS like services. Most of the solutions I've seen so
> > far(specifically ldapdns and BIND-sdb) seem quite limited in their
> > possibilities. I've got high hopes for PowerDNS, but would love to
> > get some more information about the current status its LDAP support.
> >
> > Comments well appreciated, thanks in advance! :)
>
> What kinds of updates would you want to process, 'dynamic update'?

We want to store all DNS info in an LDAP server, as little info as
possible stored on the DNS and DHCP servers.

The DHCP server itself stores all information in LDAP as well, with the
dhcpd.conf file only containing information about which LDAP server to
use.

With that in mind we want our DHCP server to update DNS stored in LDAP,
by sending a ddns-update to the DNS server.

Is there any way to accomplish this at the moment with PowerDNS?

mvg,
Remco