MSSQL Create Script

Richard Mason-2
Hi Folks,

Thought someone might find this useful :)

Regards,

Richard Mason

Ultimate Conn-X-tion
Tel/Fax : +44 (0)1206 522799
Web : www.ulticonn.co.uk

Create_PDNS_Tables.sql (4K) Download Attachment

No TCP answer

A/S ScanNet - Dan Faerch
Hi..

Im unable to enable TCP in powerdns..
in the config i have: 'disable-tcp=no'

But when i do:
#> host -T www.fake.dk
;; communications error to 127.0.0.1#53: end of file

Yet i can still do AXFR, which, as far as i know, uses TCP..

(im running 2.9.6.)

Is there somthing more i need to do to enable TCP?

- Dan

Re: No TCP answer

bert hubert
On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 08:39:36PM +0100, A/S ScanNet - Dan Faerch wrote:
> Hi..
>
> Im unable to enable TCP in powerdns..
> in the config i have: 'disable-tcp=no'

This is the default, so there is no need to specify that.

> But when i do:
> #> host -T www.fake.dk
> ;; communications error to 127.0.0.1#53: end of file

My 'host' wants '-u' to use TCP. You neglect to mention any further details
of your setup or if there is anything logged by PowerDNS.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://lartc.org           Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO
http://netherlabs.nl                         Consulting

Re: No TCP answer

A/S ScanNet - Dan Faerch
Ok..

>From the log, there is one of theese for each TCP query:
ns pdns[25874]: TCP nameserver: Error connecting: Connection refused

and nothing else...

Ive attached my pdns.conf, almost intact.. This is running on a debian and
everything, except the recursor, is installed from the package..

my 'host' command uses -T. for tcp.. But you can try it yourself:
host -T (or -u) fake.dk ns.scannet2.dk

(yes, fake.dk is an actual domain).. You cant.. But you CAN however zone
transfer..

In 'lsof -i' i have:
pdns_serv 24791 root    4u  IPv4 1293947       UDP *:domain
pdns_serv 24791 root    5u  IPv4 1293948       TCP *:domain (LISTEN)

so the port should be up and running..

> > in the config i have: 'disable-tcp=no'
> This is the default, so there is no need to specify that.
I enabled this, when i discovered TCP didnt work..

Everything else is working perfectly.. We've just thrashed our old bind
servers and are now running pdns on both ns and ns2, the TCP thing is
actually the only problem (and the recusor mysteriously shutting down now
and then, but that different thread :) )... I have to say that we are VERY
impressed with the speed of the server+ recursor..

- Dan

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 08:39:36PM +0100, A/S ScanNet - Dan Faerch wrote:
> > Hi..
> >
> > Im unable to enable TCP in powerdns..
> > in the config i have: 'disable-tcp=no'
>
> This is the default, so there is no need to specify that.
>
> > But when i do:
> > #> host -T www.fake.dk
> > ;; communications error to 127.0.0.1#53: end of file
>
> My 'host' wants '-u' to use TCP. You neglect to mention any further
details

> of your setup or if there is anything logged by PowerDNS.
>
> Regards,
>
> bert
>
> --
> http://www.PowerDNS.com      Open source, database driven DNS Software
> http://lartc.org           Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO
> http://netherlabs.nl                         Consulting

pdns.conf (6K) Download Attachment

Re: No TCP answer

Martin List-Petersen
Citat A/S ScanNet - Dan Faerch <[hidden email]>:

> Hi..
>
> Im unable to enable TCP in powerdns..
> in the config i have: 'disable-tcp=no'
>
> But when i do:
> #> host -T www.fake.dk
> ;; communications error to 127.0.0.1#53: end of file
>
> Yet i can still do AXFR, which, as far as i know, uses TCP..
>
> (im running 2.9.6.)
>
> Is there somthing more i need to do to enable TCP?

I've tried this one the following versions, where it works (both Debian Woody):
2.7.1
2.9.5 (with the bind patch, that came a few days after)

This covers both ipv4 and ipv6.

If you're interested in the debian packages for testing, drop me a mail.

Regards,
Martin List-Petersen
martin at list-petersen dot dk
--
Evolution is a bankrupt speculative philosophy, not a scientific fact.
Only a spiritually bankrupt society could ever believe it. ... Only
- Rev. Jimmy Swaggart, "The Pre-Adamic Creation and Evolution"

Re: No TCP answer

bert hubert
On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 10:23:02AM +0100, A/S ScanNet - Dan Faerch wrote:
> Ok..
>
> >From the log, there is one of theese for each TCP query:
> ns pdns[25874]: TCP nameserver: Error connecting: Connection refused
>
> and nothing else...

Ok - this means that it could not connect to the recursor over TCP for a
recursive question. Which is well possible as the powerdns native recursor
does not do TCP yet. This should not be noticeable as recursing queries
happen over UDP 99.99% of the time.

But then again, this is something we should fix.

Can you check if "dig +norecurs +tcp fake.dk @ns.scannet2.dk" gives the right
answer?

Regards,

bert