Missing SQL upgrade line for 3.3.x => 3.4.x and allow-axfr-ips change?

Threaded

Missing SQL upgrade line for 3.3.x => 3.4.x and allow-axfr-ips change?

Nicky Gerritsen
Hi all!

I was updating my PowerDNS 3.3 to 3.4 (what better to do during Christmas right?).
All worked fine, until I wanted to AXFR a zone to my secondary DNS. At first I didn’t know what went wrong, but then I saw that syslog told me the “account” field was missing in a query.

Comparing a 3.3->3.4 upgrade database to a 3.4 database, I say my domain table did not have a “account” field. So it seems the following line is missing from the 3.3->3.4 SQL upgrade snippet:
ALTER TABLE domains add account VARCHAR(40) DEFAULT NULL;

Furthermore: shouldn't “account” be NON NULL and default to the empty string? This is the case for account-fields in other tables?

A second thing: when I fixed this, I still got AXFR errors. It told me my secondary DNS did not have AXFR permissions.
On my master I did not configure “allow-axfr-ips” and the docs then say every server is allowed AXFR. However, as soon as I added the IP addresses (ipv4 and ipv6) of my secondary DNS to this config option, it did work.
So is the meaning of this value changed? If so, maybe the docs should be updated :).

Have a nice christmas!

Regards,

Nicky

Threaded

Re: Missing SQL upgrade line for 3.3.x => 3.4.x and allow-axfr-ips change?

a b-38
Yes, the semantics of who is allowed to perfom AXFR's have changed.
I got busted by this as well, several months back, because it didn't occur to me that a sift through the change logs before upgrade is mandatory.

At the time, I had suggested that backward compatibility be made a goal for pdns 4.# series, but as far as I recall, it did not elicit any comments. I let it go at that.
[...]

It would have been nice if the docs where updated because they still state the old behavior :).

Regards,

Nicky

(verzonden vanaf m'n telefoon)

> On 26 dec. 2015, at 14:35, a b <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, the semantics of who is allowed to perfom AXFR's have changed.
> I got busted by this as well, several months back, because it didn't occur to me that a sift through the change logs before upgrade is mandatory.
>
> At the time, I had suggested that backward compatibility be made a goal for pdns 4.# series, but as far as I recall, it did not elicit any comments. I let it go at that.

Christian Hofstaedtler

> On 26 Dec 2015, at 14:59, Nicky Gerritsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It would have been nice if the docs where updated because they still state the old behavior :).

The account field has been present since the first open source release of PowerDNS. I suspect it has been there for an even longer time.

Given this, there’s no info in the 3.4.x upgrade notes, as it didn’t change :-)

Best,
--
Christian Hofstaedtler / Deduktiva GmbH (FN 418592 b, HG Wien)
www.deduktiva.com / +43 1 353 1707

Threaded

Re: Missing SQL upgrade line for 3.3.x => 3.4.x and allow-axfr-ips change?

Nicky Gerritsen

> On 16 jan. 2016, at 21:26, Christian Hofstaedtler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 26 Dec 2015, at 14:59, Nicky Gerritsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It would have been nice if the docs where updated because they still state the old behavior :).
>>

> The account field has been present since the first open source release of PowerDNS. I suspect it has been there for an even longer time.
Very strange, I didn’t have it but indeed it is there in the 3.3 SQL files. No clue why I don’t have it, as I did just import the SQL files “back in the day”….

Nicky