Porblems PowerDNS 2.9.6 - Windows

Threaded

Porblems PowerDNS 2.9.6 - Windows

Patricio Valdes
We are currently using PowerDNS v. 2.9.5 for Windows and it works fine
except for one major problem, it leaks memory and server has to be reset
everyday otherwise PDNS crashes.

We have attempted to use v.2.9.6 which supposedly fixes this problem but we
are unable to. The strange issue is that v2.9.5 works and v2.9.6 does not
work. I have included a copy of our pdns.conf file and a copy of the error
message we receive. Basically it says it is not authoritative for a domain
when on v.2.9.5. it works fine.

If anyone has any ideas we will greatly appreciate them, reseting a server
daily is not an option anymore.

Thanks.

Patricio Valdes
Parava Networks

PDNS.CONF
# PDNS configuration file.
local-address=65.xxx.xxx.xx

# Use NT logging when running as a service:
use-ntlog=yes

# Backends to launch at startup:
launch=godbc

godbc-datasource=PowerDNS
godbc-username=PowerDNS
godbc-password=PowerDNS
# Launch a statistical webserver:
webserver=yes
webserver-port=8081

# EOF

ERROR LOG
C:\Program Files\PowerDNS>pdns
This is module godbcbackend reporting
This is a standalone pdns
Listening on named pipe.
Opened file './pdns.conf' for configuration
UDP server bound to 65.xxx.xxx.xx:53
TCP server bound to 65.xxx.xxx.xx:53
PowerDNS 2.9.6-WIN32 (Feb 16 2003, 20:37:14) starting up
GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (GPL)
PowerDNS 2.9.6-WIN32 (Feb 16 2003, 20:37:14) starting up
Launched webserver on 127.0.0.1:8081
Creating backend connection for TCP
godbc Connection succesful
About to create 3 backend threads
godbc Connection succesful
godbc Connection succesful
godbc Connection succesful
Done launching threads, ready to distribute questions
Not authoritative for 'www.matzo.org', sending servfail to 208.204.150.215
Not authoritative for 'matzo.net', sending servfail to 66.33.60.245

Threaded

Re: Porblems PowerDNS 2.9.6 - Windows

Michel Stol
Hi Patricio,

>We have attempted to use v.2.9.6 which supposedly fixes this problem but we
>are unable to. The strange issue is that v2.9.5 works and v2.9.6 does not
>work. I have included a copy of our pdns.conf file and a copy of the error
>message we receive. Basically it says it is not authoritative for a domain
>when on v.2.9.5. it works fine.
>
>If anyone has any ideas we will greatly appreciate them, reseting a server
>daily is not an option anymore.
>
>ERROR LOG
>C:\Program Files\PowerDNS>pdns
>This is module godbcbackend reporting
>This is a standalone pdns
>Listening on named pipe.
>Opened file './pdns.conf' for configuration
>UDP server bound to 65.xxx.xxx.xx:53
>TCP server bound to 65.xxx.xxx.xx:53
>PowerDNS 2.9.6-WIN32 (Feb 16 2003, 20:37:14) starting up
>GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (GPL)
>PowerDNS 2.9.6-WIN32 (Feb 16 2003, 20:37:14) starting up
>Launched webserver on 127.0.0.1:8081
>Creating backend connection for TCP
>godbc Connection succesful
>About to create 3 backend threads
>godbc Connection succesful
>godbc Connection succesful
>godbc Connection succesful
>Done launching threads, ready to distribute questions
>Not authoritative for 'www.matzo.org', sending servfail to 208.204.150.215
>Not authoritative for 'matzo.net', sending servfail to 66.33.60.245

It has been quite a while since my last mail to this list, but I couldn't send mail due to a recent ISP change.

I still think it has something to do with your DNS setup (the data in the database), but I might be wrong ofcourse.

Can you try starting PDNS in a console with 'loglevel=9' in the config file?

And does it work when using the regular ODBC backend with 2.9.6 (which is still available in that version)?

Greetings,

- Michel Stol

Threaded

Re: RE: Porblems PowerDNS 2.9.6 - Windows

Michel Stol
Patricio,

>Michel.
>
>If I run using loglevel=9 still no luck and see no changes in error
>reporting.
>
>If I run using old pdns.conf ODBC file it works perfectly. Still not sure if
>using old conf ODBC file will stop the memory leak problem.
>
>Is this strange or what? What do you think it could be?
>
>Patricio Valdes
>Parava Networks

Then it might be a problem with the new Generic ODBC backend, but it's working fine here.
I only get that error when I try to resolve a domain that isn't located in the database.

And are you using the 2.9.6 from the website? Because I remember sending you a new binary which says it's 2.9.6, but
did not include some fixes to the gODBC backend.

Greetings,

- Michel

Threaded

RE: RE: Porblems PowerDNS 2.9.6 - Windows

Patricio Valdes
I think we are using the 2.9.6 from the website, Ill try and download it
again today from the website and will let you know.

Thanks  again.

Patricio Valdes
Parava Networks