Power DNS GSLB enhancement

Anton Gavrik
Hello,

In case this might be of any interest to the community, we're building a GSLB enhancement for Power DNS Authoritative Server at https://github.com/polaris-gslb/polaris-gslb

Anton

Re: Power DNS GSLB enhancement

Anton Gavrik
Hello,

I wanted to provide an update on this work, as of v0.4 the following features are supported:

- Built as an enhancement for PowerDNS Authoritative Server

- Load-balancing methods:
  - Weighted round-robin
  - Topology(direct clients to the end-points in the same region/datacenter)
  - Failover group(active/backup mode)

- Parameterized(timeout, interval, retries etc.) health monitors:
  - TCP(send string, match reg exp)
  - HTTP/S

- Up to 32 addresses returned in a response

- Different ways to handle the "all-pool-members-down" situation(fallback):
  - return any configured end-points(ignore the health status)
  - refuse query

  - return any configured end-points(ignore the health status)
  - refuse query

Re: Power DNS GSLB enhancement

Lonnie Cumberland
Greetings Anton,

This looks like a great enhancement to PowerDNS.

As I am still very new to PowerDNS, I was wondering if how hard it would be to set this up in Docker and to also add in PowerAdmin for it as well.

Is there any information on how to configure the load-balancing and fail-over?

Any ideas or suggestions would be great to hear.

Cheers,
Lonnie

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 2:29 AM, Anton Gavrik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Forgot to provide a link to the project
https://github.com/polaris-gslb/polaris-gslb

Anton Gavrik wrote
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to provide an update on this work, as of v0.4 the following
> features are supported:
>
> - Built as an enhancement for PowerDNS Authoritative Server
>
> - Load-balancing methods:
>   - Weighted round-robin
>   - Topology(direct clients to the end-points in the same
> region/datacenter)
>   - Failover group(active/backup mode)
>
> - Parameterized(timeout, interval, retries etc.) health monitors:
>   - TCP(send string, match reg exp)
>   - HTTP/S
>
> - Up to 32 addresses returned in a response
>
> - Different ways to handle the "all-pool-members-down"
> situation(fallback):
>   - return any configured end-points(ignore the health status)
>   - refuse query

Re: Power DNS GSLB enhancement

Anton Gavrik
There is a documentation available in https://github.com/polaris-gslb/polaris-gslb/wiki, please raise any further questions via the "Issues" section of the GitHub project.