PowerDNS recusor 4.0.0 alpha2 packages/forward zone file

PowerDNS recusor 4.0.0 alpha2 packages/forward zone file

shthead
Hi,

I am doing some testing with PowerDNS 4.0 recursor as I am looking to
replace my existing Unbound recursors. So far everything looks good
except for one show stopper. I am using a forward zones file like this:

forward-zones-file=/etc/powerdns/recursor_forward_zones

The forward zones file contains forwarders for various DNS black lists
that I host a local mirror of:

sbl.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.1:54
pbl.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.1:54
xbl.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.1:54
dbl.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.1:54
zen.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.1:54
sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.1:54

When a query comes in for a zone that is forwarded the recursor terminates.

I can see this issue on Github which looks the same:
https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/3121

Apparently this should be resolved in alpha2, but I do not see any
packages on repo.powerdns.com for the jessie-rec-40 distro yet. Is there
a planned release for this package? If not I will just build the package
myself.

The other thing I was not sure of is the syntax of the forward zones
file - should the zone names be terminated with a dot, eg:

sbl.spamhaus.org.=127.0.0.1:54

Also, when I start the recursor I can see the following log entry:

Insufficient number of filedescriptors available for
max-mthreads*threads setting! (4096 < 32793), reducing max-mthreads to 254

PowerDNS should be running as the pdns user (it does according to the
process list), I checked the limits for that user and it looks fine:

root@dns-slave:~# su - pdns -c 'ulimit -aHS' -s '/bin/bash'
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size           (kbytes, -d) unlimited
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
file size               (blocks, -f) unlimited
pending signals                 (-i) 64206
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
max memory size         (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                      (-n) 128000
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time               (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes              (-u) 64206
virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) unlimited
file locks                      (-x) unlimited

Thanks

Re: PowerDNS recusor 4.0.0 alpha2 packages/forward zone file

Pieter Lexis-2
Hi Chris,

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 11:03:42 +0800
Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apparently this should be resolved in alpha2, but I do not see any
> packages on repo.powerdns.com for the jessie-rec-40 distro yet. Is there
> a planned release for this package? If not I will just build the package
> myself.

There is no alpha2 release for the recursor yet indeed, you can use the master packages from the repositories as a substitute (as alpha2 will be a tag on master). Expect an official Recursor alpha2 somewhere this week.

Best regards,

Pieter

--
Pieter Lexis
PowerDNS.COM BV -- https://www.powerdns.com

On 7/03/2016 6:42 PM, Pieter Lexis wrote:
> There is no alpha2 release for the recursor yet indeed, you can use the master packages from the repositories as a substitute (as alpha2 will be a tag on master). Expect an official Recursor alpha2 somewhere this week.

Hi Pieter

Thanks, I can confirm the master repo fixes the crashing issue.

Do you have any idea why I get this message on start:

Insufficient number of filedescriptors available for
max-mthreads*threads setting! (4096 < 32793), reducing max-mthreads to 254

I verified that the nofile limit in security.conf is set correctly,
running ulimit -n as the user the server runs under also looks correct.
I also tried adding 'ulimit -n 128000' to the init script but that also
doesn't work.

Thanks