Powerdns 3.4.8 gmysql + autoserial

paultravers
Hi, I'm attempting to figure how to get autoserial working in our POC environment. I've tried to following but my serial doesn't appear to change when any records are updated:

default-soa-edit=INCEPTION-INCREMENT

backend SOA record = 'a.misconfigured.powerdns.server hostmaster.foo2.example.com 0 10800 3600 604800 3600'

dig SOA response = 'foo2.example.com. 3600 IN SOA a.misconfigured.powerdns.server. hostmaster.foo2.example.com. 2016040701 10800 3600 604800 3600'

I've added a record for test1.foo2.example.com using the powerdns API, and the record appears in queries, but the serial does not increment and the backend database has change_date = NULL for all entries.

Am I going about this the wrong way or will we have to add some sort of a trigger for change_date since according to here  "The autoserial functionality makes PowerDNS generate the SOA serial when the SOA serial set to 0 in the database. The serial in SOA responses is set to the highest value of the change_date field in the "records" table"

Re: Powerdns 3.4.8 gmysql + autoserial

paultravers
Has anyone run into this issue or got autoserial working? This is really annoying because I have everything else working the way I would like, but without autoserial working I can't integrate it with existing nameservers without having to write some script to autoincrement for me.

Re: Powerdns 3.4.8 gmysql + autoserial

Aladme
For me Works.

Has anyone run into this issue or got autoserial working? This is really annoying because I have everything else working the way I would like, but without autoserial working I can't integrate it with existing nameservers without having to write some script to autoincrement for me.

Re: Powerdns 3.4.8 gmysql + autoserial

paultravers
Hey Alejandro, have a few questions about your setup then:

What backend are you using?

What autoincrement option are you using?

What serial are you using when you create the original SOA entry in your backend?

Thanks for responding!

--
Paul Travers
Systems Engineer

CBS Interactive

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Alejandro Adroher Mellado <[hidden email]> wrote:
For me Works.

Has anyone run into this issue or got autoserial working? This is really annoying because I have everything else working the way I would like, but without autoserial working I can't integrate it with existing nameservers without having to write some script to autoincrement for me.

Re: Powerdns 3.4.8 gmysql + autoserial

Aladme

Hi Paul,

I’m using gmysql as backend, also another application, PowerAdmin to have web management of the zones and records.

My serial is autoincremented each time I made a modification. Is like 2016041201 … 02 … 03

I didn’t remember any option for the autoserial.

Has anyone run into this issue or got autoserial working? This is really annoying because I have everything else working the way I would like, but without autoserial working I can't integrate it with existing nameservers without having to write some script to autoincrement for me.

Re: Powerdns 3.4.8 gmysql + autoserial

paultravers
For posterity, after working with the guys in IRC we found the solution to my problem. When creating/updating records from the powerdns built in json API, your zone needs something set for the zone metadata option "SOA-EDIT-API". Once this is set your SOA serial should be auto-incrementing as expected. We were unable to find a configuration option to set this automatically unlike "default-soa-edit".

--

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 4:19 AM, Aladme [via PowerDNS] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Paul,

I’m using gmysql as backend, also another application, PowerAdmin to have web management of the zones and records.

My serial is autoincremented each time I made a modification. Is like <a href="tel:2016041201" value="+12016041201" target="_blank">2016041201 … 02 … 03

I didn’t remember any option for the autoserial.

Hey Alejandro, have a few questions about your setup then:

What backend are you using?

What autoincrement option are you using?

What serial are you using when you create the original SOA entry in your backend?

Thanks for responding!

--

Paul Travers
Systems Engineer
T <a href="tel:502.992.7971" value="+15029927971" target="_blank">502.992.7971    C
9920 Corporate Campus Drive, Suite 1000, Louisville, KY 40223

CBS Interactive

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Alejandro Adroher Mellado <[hidden email]> wrote:

For me Works.

Has anyone run into this issue or got autoserial working? This is really annoying because I have everything else working the way I would like, but without autoserial working I can't integrate it with existing nameservers without having to write some script to autoincrement for me.

http://powerdns.13854.n7.nabble.com/Powerdns-3-4-8-gmysql-autoserial-tp12233p12245.html
To unsubscribe from Powerdns 3.4.8 gmysql + autoserial, click here.
NAML