Question on Recursion

Chris Fokkenrood
Hi guys,

At the moment we are running a test with powerdns v3, but cannot get this version to behave the way we want it to.

The idea is to overwrite some subdomains of our (dns is externally hosted) own domain to local server IP-addresses. This way we don't have to enable nat-reflection on our firewall. Subdomains which are not in the mysql backend return an error now, but should be recursed to the internet.

Do you have any tips for us, how to configure powerdns v3 to do this ?

Re: Question on Recursion

Peter van Dijk
Hello Chris,

On 13 May 2016, at 15:23, Chris Fokkenrood wrote:

> At the moment we are running a test with powerdns v3, but cannot get
> this
> version to behave the way we want it to.
>
> The idea is to overwrite some subdomains of our (dns is externally
> hosted)
> own domain to local server IP-addresses. This way we don't have to
> enable
> nat-reflection on our firewall. Subdomains which are not in the mysql
> backend return an error now, but should be recursed to the internet.
>
> Do you have any tips for us, how to configure powerdns v3 to do this ?

Point your end users (‘workstations’) at the Recursor, not the
Authoritative. In the Recursor, either override your local names using
auth-zones or export-etc-hosts, or use forward-zones to point to an
Authoritative (which you can run on 127.0.0.1 on the same box) where you
have the local zones.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk