ddns performance of pdns

Thomas Mieslinger-4
Hi,

today I wanted to migrate my ddns master from bind to pdns. 3 DHCP
Servers sent a about 50 updates per second to the pdns 3.4.8 and only
one or two updates per second could be successfully commited to the
database.

All failed transactions rolled back after trying to edit the SOA record.

I'm using 5.1.73-log MySQL Community Server.

I'm using REPEATABLE-READ transaction-isolation and

distributor-threads=2
receiver-threads=10

as pdns performance settings.

I tried to disable SOA-EDITs with domainmetadata

SOA-EDIT-DNSUPDATE   | SOA-EDIT
SOA-EDIT             | NONE

but that didn't change anything.

What DDNS performance do you get from your pdns instances with which
settings?

Thanks Thomas

Re: ddns performance of pdns

ktm@rice.edu
On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:01:19PM +0100, Thomas Mieslinger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> today I wanted to migrate my ddns master from bind to pdns. 3 DHCP
> Servers sent a about 50 updates per second to the pdns 3.4.8 and
> only one or two updates per second could be successfully commited to
> the database.
>
> All failed transactions rolled back after trying to edit the SOA record.
>
> I'm using 5.1.73-log MySQL Community Server.
>
> I'm using REPEATABLE-READ transaction-isolation and
>
> distributor-threads=2
> receiver-threads=10
>
> as pdns performance settings.
>
> I tried to disable SOA-EDITs with domainmetadata
>
> SOA-EDIT-DNSUPDATE   | SOA-EDIT
> SOA-EDIT             | NONE
>
> but that didn't change anything.
>
> What DDNS performance do you get from your pdns instances with which
> settings?
>
> Thanks Thomas

Hi Thomas,

You will need to investigate your DB performance. Turn on query logging
and slow query logging. Also check system I/O stats to see if you have
a bottleneck there. We are just getting started on adding a DDNS component
to our network so I do not have any firsthand experience with it and the
queries it uses. Good luck in your hunt for the bottleneck.

Regards,
Ken

ddns performance of pdns

Aladme
Hi all!!

I just passed my pdns on to production!!

Is going really well!!   Thaks to the contributors!!

But ... only one question .....

I'm getting this error .... On one of my recursors

Ignoring non-query opcode 5 from MYOWNRECURSOR-IP on server socket!

Can someone give me an idea about what is happening???

Ale

Re: ddns performance of pdns

Aladme
Found!!!

XDDDD

Re: ddns performance of pdns

Ruben d'Arco-2
On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 07:54:26AM -0600, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:01:19PM +0100, Thomas Mieslinger wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > today I wanted to migrate my ddns master from bind to pdns. 3 DHCP
> > Servers sent a about 50 updates per second to the pdns 3.4.8 and
> > only one or two updates per second could be successfully commited to
> > the database.
> >
> > All failed transactions rolled back after trying to edit the SOA record.
> >
> > I'm using 5.1.73-log MySQL Community Server.
> >
> > I'm using REPEATABLE-READ transaction-isolation and
> >
> > distributor-threads=2
> > receiver-threads=10
> >
> > as pdns performance settings.
> >
> > I tried to disable SOA-EDITs with domainmetadata
> >
> > SOA-EDIT-DNSUPDATE   | SOA-EDIT
> > SOA-EDIT             | NONE
> >
> > but that didn't change anything.
> >
> > What DDNS performance do you get from your pdns instances with which
> > settings?
> >
> > Thanks Thomas
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> You will need to investigate your DB performance. Turn on query logging
> and slow query logging. Also check system I/O stats to see if you have
> a bottleneck there. We are just getting started on adding a DDNS component
> to our network so I do not have any firsthand experience with it and the
> queries it uses. Good luck in your hunt for the bottleneck.
>
> Regards,
> Ken

Just to add to this, there is a lock for every update message. This is to avoid 2 update messages from causing some transactional issues.
There's also a comment above that lock that the lock might should be placed per zone, allowing multiple zones to be updated at the same time.

When i did some testing on this, it seemed that this was the limiting factor. It's just not fast if 1 update needs to wait for the other to be completed. But, at the time, i didn't check if this could be done better.

You mentioned that you have 3 dhcp servers - i'm assuming they all update the same zone?

Regards,
        Ruben

Re: ddns performance of pdns

Thomas Mieslinger-4
Hi altogether,

thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I did some testing. The records table has around 115k rows. When I send
single updates for a zone that has ~20 rows (out of the 100k) I get
about 100 updates per second (what would be sufficient in my use case).
When the zone to be updated has 80k records I only get 1 ddns update per
second.

I activated the mysql query log and analyzed (explain) them. All
statements use the indexes and, when running them individually, they
perform well.

I will review my mysql configuration if there is optimization possible.
Maybe the query cache is to small or something else.

Cheers

Thomas