intermittency when resolving certain domains

Threaded

intermittency when resolving certain domains

Miguel Miranda-2
Hello to all, im getting intermittency responses from a pdns-recursor, some domains are geting error no A+AAA records, and in a wireshark carture appears this error:

Recursion available: server can't do recursive queries.

After several attemps from the same client the domain resolves ok, and in the wirshark capture the error is gone and now the line reads:

Recrusion available: servce can do recursive queries.

These is happening with several domains, randomly so is not specific to a region in particular. im running pdn as the primeray server and forwarding recursive queries to pdns-recursor running in localhost:53.
What should i check? hints file?, allow-recursion entries?
regards.

Threaded

Re: intermittency when resolving certain domains

bert hubert-3
On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 11:22:53AM -0600, Miguel Miranda wrote:
> Hello to all, im getting intermittency responses from a pdns-recursor, some
> domains are geting error no A+AAA records, and in a wireshark carture
> appears this error:

Which version, which domain names. We can't help without details. Please run the
recursor with 'trace' in the configuration file so we can see wha tis going
on.

Keep on asking questions to the recursor until one fails and then send the
relevant part of the log.

Thanks!

        Bert

> Recursion available: server can't do recursive queries.
>
> After several attemps from the same client the domain resolves ok, and in
> the wirshark capture the error is gone and now the line reads:
>
> Recrusion available: servce can do recursive queries.
>
> These is happening with several domains, randomly so is not specific to a
> region in particular. im running pdn as the primeray server and forwarding
> recursive queries to pdns-recursor running in localhost:53.
> What should i check? hints file?, allow-recursion entries?
> regards.

Threaded

Re: intermittency when resolving certain domains

Peter van Dijk
Hello Miguel,

On 28 Dec 2015, at 18:22, Miguel Miranda wrote:

> Recursion available: server can't do recursive queries.
>
> After several attemps from the same client the domain resolves ok, and
> in
> the wirshark capture the error is gone and now the line reads:
>
> Recrusion available: servce can do recursive queries.
>
> These is happening with several domains, randomly so is not specific
> to a
> region in particular. im running pdn as the primeray server and
> forwarding
> recursive queries to pdns-recursor running in localhost:53.
> What should i check? hints file?, allow-recursion entries?
> regards.

This is a known issue, tracked here -
https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/2380

As a workaround, set recursive-cache-ttl to zero. As a fix, stop
forwarding your traffic through pdns_server.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk

Threaded

Re: intermittency when resolving certain domains

Miguel Miranda-2
Thanks, I will the workaround,
regards