(no subject)

Sebastian Broekhoven
Hello,

Our PowerDNS server is crashing lately.
When looking into te log, I get this messages:

Jan  5 10:01:42 ns1 pdns[22577]: Exception: DNSPacketWriter::xfrLabel()
found empty label in the middle of name
Jan  5 10:01:42 ns1 pdns[22577]: TCP Connection Thread died because of
STL error: DNSPacketWriter::xfrLabel() found empty label in the middle
of name

I can't realy find where to look for, to solve this problem.

pdns_control version
3.4.7
MySQL back-end
Debian GNU/Linux OS

Kind regards,
Sebastian

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: (no subject)

bert hubert-3
On Tue, Jan 05, 2016 at 10:17:43AM +0100, Sebastian Broekhoven wrote:
> Our PowerDNS server is crashing lately.
> When looking into te log, I get this messages:

Please run pdnssec check-all-zones and tell us what it says. Or pdnsutil
check-all-zones if on 4.x.

> Jan  5 10:01:42 ns1 pdns[22577]: TCP Connection Thread died because of
> STL error: DNSPacketWriter::xfrLabel() found empty label in the middle
> of name

You probably have a record like this somewhere in your database:
'www..powerdns.com'. We should not crash on that of course, so that is a
bug.

If pdnssec doesn't find anything, try:
select * from records where content like '%..%'
and
select * from records where name like '%..%'

        Bert

> I can't realy find where to look for, to solve this problem.
>
> pdns_control version
> 3.4.7
> MySQL back-end
> Debian GNU/Linux OS
>
> Kind regards,
> Sebastian

Re: (no subject)

Sebastian Broekhoven
Hello Bert,

Tank you for the response.
Later on I was searching the database for records.

SELECT id, name, type, content FROM records WHERE name LIKE '.%';
SELECT id, name, type, content FROM records WHERE name LIKE '%..%';
SELECT id, name, type, content FROM records WHERE name LIKE '% %';
SELECT id, name, type, content FROM records WHERE name LIKE '%@%';

The results were to cry for...
I think I'm going to kick some developers!

The error log is almost clean now!

--
Kind Regards,
Sebastian Broekhoven

On 05-01-16 10:22, bert hubert wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 05, 2016 at 10:17:43AM +0100, Sebastian Broekhoven wrote:
>> Our PowerDNS server is crashing lately.
>> When looking into te log, I get this messages:
>
> Please run pdnssec check-all-zones and tell us what it says. Or pdnsutil
> check-all-zones if on 4.x.
>
>> Jan  5 10:01:42 ns1 pdns[22577]: TCP Connection Thread died because of
>> STL error: DNSPacketWriter::xfrLabel() found empty label in the middle
>> of name
>
> You probably have a record like this somewhere in your database:
> 'www..powerdns.com'. We should not crash on that of course, so that is a
> bug.
>
> If pdnssec doesn't find anything, try:
> select * from records where content like '%..%'
> and
> select * from records where name like '%..%'
>
> Bert
>

>> I can't realy find where to look for, to solve this problem.
>>
>> pdns_control version
>> 3.4.7
>> MySQL back-end
>> Debian GNU/Linux OS
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Sebastian

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: (no subject)

Sebastian Broekhoven
Hello,

After doing some cleaning up (a few thousand records) the log is clean.
No strange errors.

Also, the pdns_server isn't crashing anymore!

The only thing I have to clean op are record duplicates which I found
with: pdnssec check-all-zones.

Thanks for the help.

--
Kind Regards,