pdns-recursor 4.0.0alpha1 crashes at startup

Threaded

pdns-recursor 4.0.0alpha1 crashes at startup

Bit World Computing - Michael Mertel
Hi,

I upgraded my existing installation of pdns-recursor to 4.0.0alpha1 on Ubuntu 14.04, and with my old configuration the recursor crashes right after startup.

I was able to track it down to the configuration parameters forward-zones-file and forward-zones-recurse. This configuration was working for ages:

forward-zones-file=/etc/powerdns/forward-zones
forward-zones-recurse=.=8.8.8.8

No matter if I enable both, either the first or the second the recursor crashes if a zone is served following these forward rules.

Is this a known bug?

—Michael

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment
Threaded

Re: pdns-recursor 4.0.0alpha1 crashes at startup

Pieter Lexis-2
Hi Michael,

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 11:05:47 +0100
Bit World Computing - Michael Mertel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was able to track it down to the configuration parameters forward-zones-file and forward-zones-recurse. This configuration was working for ages:
>
> forward-zones-file=/etc/powerdns/forward-zones
> forward-zones-recurse=.=8.8.8.8
>
> No matter if I enable both, either the first or the second the recursor crashes if a zone is served following these forward rules.

Forward-zones is indeed broken in alpha1. This[1] pull requests fixes this and will be part of alpha2. If you want to test the current master branch, which will become alpha2 in time, you can get packages from our repo[2].

Best regards,

Pieter

1 - https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/3244
2 - https://repo.powerdns.com/

--
Pieter Lexis
PowerDNS.COM BV -- https://www.powerdns.com
Threaded

Re: pdns-recursor 4.0.0alpha1 crashes at startup

Bit World Computing - Michael Mertel
Hello Pieter,

thanks for the clarification, the master branch fixed the problem indeed, but it crashes very often.

For some odd reason I’am not able to do a wget from http://download.powerdns.com, it complains about not being able to resolve the name, but a 'host download.powerdns.com' returns successfully. I changed my dns from local recursor to 8.8.8.8 in /etc/resolv.conf and the problem with wget went away.

Meanwhile I returned to 3.7.3, but I will give it another shot later because of the DNSSEC functionality.